I could just post pictures of awesome cars here, but let’s list the awesome reasons as well. There are people who don’t want to own a car and prefer to walk, cycle, or take public transport. However, I don’t see them rocking up to a drive-in movie or being comfortable in a nice car seat instead of a bicycle or bus seat. I’ve been through the hassle of walking a fast 20 minutes to a train station, then catching 2 trains that didn’t always link up on time, then another 10 minute walk just to get to work. Having to carry a bag around with umbrella, water bottles, jackets, hat to protect against the sun, and other clothes if I wanted to go to the gym or go out after work. And then having to predict what time the last train would be that I could take to link with the other one – nightmare.
So I’ve compiled a sure-fire list of reasons to get your own wheels.
- Go anywhere, anytime compared to set public transport schedules
- Space compared to congested public transport
- Safety compared to walking the streets alone
- Explore new parts of the country at your ease
- Convenient for grocery or other shopping trips
- Ready to go at your doorstep with no waiting time
- Available for emergencies
- Pick up or drop off friends or family from the airport
- Heating or cooling for optimum comfort on your journey
- Go to drive-in movies
- Avoid sick people on public transport
- Always guaranteed a seat unlike public transport
- Essential when starting a family to get to doctors’ appointments
- Wake up later instead of early for walking and public transport
- Catching multiple transport links that may not overlap due to lateness
- Drive to where you want to go instead of getting off at the next stop and walking
- Join a car club and be part of a community
- Unable to board public transport due to overcrowding
- Not knowing why a bus, train or tram has not turned up
- You can add your own personal touches to a car
- Road Trips
You may have even more reasons to want your own drive. You don’t need to justify yourself to anyone, but it’s handy to have a list if someone wants a debate.