Looking for a small sports coupe that exudes charm, style, and performance, then you can’t go wrong with the second generation Audi TT. While it’s bigger brother – the A5 exudes an equally charismatic charm, the TT holds its own in design, desirability, and grunt. This isn’t some cheap attempt at a sports car with plastic this and plastic that, there’s real thought put into the second generation TT which makes it a car jam-packed full of luxuries and touches for an affordable price. So what makes it a great buy? Take a couple of minutes to find out.
1. Leather seats come in either red or black as standard or a beautiful Napa tan color if you’re lucky
2. Surprisingly large trunk space (especially with the rear seats folded down)
3. Great range of engine sizes –go for either the 4 cylinder 2.0 liter turbo, the 5 cylinder 2.5 liter turbo, or the 6 cylinder 3.2 liter powerhouse
4. Slim-line retractable rear spoiler which is great to stop any vandals breaking it off
5. 2.0 liter turbo gets to 60 miles an hour in 6.6 seconds while the 3.2 liter will get to 5.7 seconds for the same distance
6. Audi reliability and a fresh, crisp drive when looked after well
7. Won many awards including Top Gear Coupe of the Year 2006, Drive Car of the Year, Fifth Gear Car of the Year 2006, and World Design Car of the Year 2007 (as well as being a finalist for World Car of the Year 2007). It was also What Car? Best Coupe of the Year for an amazing six years in a row from 2007 to 2012
8. Handling is sharp and precise, it responds well, and the renowned ‘Quattro’ all-wheel drive versions give added grip around corners (if you can stretch the budget)
9. The turbo engines kick in when you want them to, especially good for over-taking
10. 19 inch alloys wheels add to the grunt of this small powerhouse
11. Easy to park and easy to drive
1. The rear seats are small and tight – only best for the pet dog who will love it. But hey, this isn’t meant to be a family car
2. The 6 cylinder 3.2 liter is quite thirsty on gas
3. A common problem on some earlier models show the window regulator mechanism can fail leaving you unable to wind the window up or down. A loud creaking noise will alert you to the problem for a while first before complete failure in most cases
4. Headlamp units are known for condensation build up in cold weather or from washing the car. There’s no real fix for it, but it doesn’t affect the lights at all
Make sure you see all service records and receipts for work done, and that maintenance has been carried out correctly on a regular basis as per log book. Get a thorough check of the body undercarriage, suspension, and the engine bay for any signs of wear and tear. Beware of aftermarket modifications as these can be done on the cheap or are not genuine Audi optional extras, so may not work as well or could be signs of car abuse if it’s had a hard life at the hands of a reckless driver who dreams of being in the next ‘Fast & Furious’ sequel.
Chrysler Crossfire (2004-2008), Mercedes SLK (2004-2010), Alfa Romeo Brera (2005-2010), Volkswagen Scirocco (2008-2017), Porsche Boxster (2005-2012), BMW Z4 (2003-2014)
Audi are known for their ability to put out solid but sexy cars – especially the A5 and TT Coupes. It’s a fun car that you would admire across the car park or in the reflection of passing shops. What can I say, just get out and test drive one today before they become a collector’s car.